An introduction about Egypt military
The armed forces in Egypt are referred as the military national forces of Egypt, which is said to be the largest of all in Africa and the Middle East. In 2014, the Egypt military was ranked as the 13th most powerful one on globe. It was Established in 1922, the military in Egypt comprises of Egyptian Army, Egyptian Air Force, Egyptian Navy and the Air Defense Forces of Egypt. As per the constitution of Egypt, the armed forces of the country are headed by the Supreme Court which s led by the President who appears to be the Supreme Leader of the armed forces. Also, there are 21 military officers representing the different departments and armies of the Egyptian armed forces.
The Egyptian army is regarded as one of the few armed forces around the world that is dedicated and bias always towards its people's well, it was clearly how it protected its own people in the Egypt revolution of 30th of June against Morsi autocratic rule. In 2013 tens of Millions of Egyptians ( 33 Million ) flooded into the streets on the first anniversary of Islamist President Mohamed Mose’s inauguration to demand that he resign in the biggest challenge so far to rule by his Muslim Brotherhood.
Egyptian Demonstrators marching across the streets and waving national flags and chanting "Get out Morsi!" As Many demonstrators bellowed their anger at the Muslim Brotherhood, which they accuse of hijacking Egypt's revolution and using electoral victories to monopolize power and impose Islamic law.
Due to the effective and supporting role of the Egyptian army in Egypt development and stability, it is today a very popular body in Egypt and have received great respect thought-out the country and today is regarded as a mile-stone in Egypt stability and keeperof its internal security and stability.
Overview about Egyptian Military
It’s anticipated that Egypt, at this time does not seem to be aggressive in pursuing the non-conventional weapons. Meanwhile, Egypt is among few countries that have made use of chemical weapons in warfare and it’s thus expected that the country has a reserve of chemical warfare and moderately advanced missile as well.
Cairo, the country’s capital, is the central leader which promotes WMDFZ that is Weapons of Mass Destruction Free Zone in Middle East. Also, Cairo is the strongest critic of nuclear weapon programs of Israel, who even refused to sign the CWC or Chemical Weapon Convention of Israel, not participating in the NPT aka Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.
These are few stats about the military in Egypt which shows the country’s weapon treasure
- Number of Combat Aircraft with the Air Force is 900, which has helped the same get ranked at 3rd out of 11
- As of 2000, the number of Armed forces personnel in Egypt was 448,000, helping it stand as 10th out of 166
- The number of Main Battle Tanks in the army was 4145 in 2011, ranked as 3rd out of 11
- Expenditures considering total GDP were 3.4% in 2005, placing it at 30th out of 153
- Global Peace Index in 2013 was 2.26, ranking at 49th out of 162
- The Military Branches in Egypt as of 2013 included Egyptian Air Force
Egypt military role in agriculture
Under the guidance of Food Security Division of NSPO, the military has set a goal of complete self-sufficiency in food in Egypt. In 1980, NSPO started developing a network of milk processing facilities, dairy farms, poultry farms, cattle field lots and fish farms. Military help in producing 18% of the total food in Egypt and 60% of consumables needed by the army by the year 1985. The surplus produce which remained unused was sold in the commercial market and the profit was kept by the coffers of military.
Role of Egyptian military in National Infrastructure
Military in Egypt has been involved in the completion of many national infrastructure projects like construction of sewers, power lines, overpass, bridges, schools, roads, telephone exchanges and more. There have been many reviews about the intervention of the military in such infrastructural developments, but most agree that the development was affordable to the government only due to the military resources utilization. Meanwhile, some officers criticized this role saying that this detracted the military’s main focus, which is national security. While still others said that this helped in improving the image of the Egyptian military among people.
Some regular military exercises in Egypt
Different branches of the Armed forces in Egypt have been involved in exercising military exercises on an annual basis. Some of which have been mentioned below
- -Operation Bright Star, led by the American and Egyptian Armed forces, it is one of the largest joint training exercises on earth
- -Sea of Friendship Maneuvers organized in the Mediterranean Sea, is held between the navy forces of Turkey and Egypt.
- -In Saudi Arabia, Tabuk Maneuvers is held with Saudi Armed forces
- -Faisal Maneuvers in Saudi Arabia, is held between air forces of Saudi Arabia and Egypt
- -Morgan Maneuvers in Saudi Arabia, between navy forces of Saudi Arabia and Egypt
- -Zaid Maneuvers is held in UAE, with the Union Defense Force
- -Ra’d Maneuvers is held between different army branches in the western command
- -Badr Maneuvers between different army branches, is held by Third Army Command
- Ein Jalut Maneuvers in Jordan is held with the Jordanian Armed Forces
- -Nasr Maneuvers between different army branches, is organized by the Second Army command
- -Sea’s Victory Maneuvers by the navy command, is held between different army branches
Industries that the military owns have always been powerful contributor in the economy of the country, even when the profit has not been made public.
For any person interested in joining the Military forces in Egypt, there are many academies now present where they can get the needed training and qualification to become military personnel, and get a chance to serve the country.
Related links :