City of Kafr-el-Dawwar, Egypt
Kafr el- Dawwar is a large town in Egypt located near Alexandria between Cairo and Alexandria on the main Agricultural Road. The place is popular as a chief industrial town situated in Nile Delta in northern Egypt. The city is famous for the many industries located here chiefly textiles and chemicals. The population of Kafr el-Dawwar is about 265,300 people. Also, the place is famous for the Kafr- el-Dawwar battle which took place between the Egyptian and British armies in 1882. Kafr el-Dawwar is touted to be the largest local textile companies which is comparable in size to the one located at El-Mahalla El-Kubra.
The chief occupation of residents at Kafr el-Dawwar
The majority of people here are employed at the textile companies and Misr for Weaving and Spinning is the largest firm in this town. Other large companies running here include paint, chemicals and silk fibers.
Agriculture is a chief activity which is carried on in the area surrounding this industrial city. The source of irrigation to the agricultural land here is the stream of Mahmodya which flows from the north of Kafr el-Dawwar to Alexandria and is one of the branches of the longest river Nile.
Major industries at Kafr el-Dawwar
Kafr el-Dawwar is an industrial city popular for electricity generation and textile production alongside fruit packing industries. Misr for Weaving and Spinning is the largest industry here, while other industries include silk fibers, chemicals and paint industries. Agriculture is a chief activity here carried on the land surrounding the industries.
The famous Kafr el-Dawwar battle
A famous battle of Kafr el-Dawwar took place here in 1882 between the Egyptian army which was headed by Ahmed Qrabi and the British Army which was led by Sir Archibald Alison, Bart (1826-1907). This was during the Anglo- Egyptian war where the Egyptian army was successful in stopping the British troops from moving towards Cairo for a time of 5 weeks. After this the British army advanced to Suez Canal via Tel el-Kabir to finally reach Cairo.
The preparation seen after the surrender was very strong and included successive embankments and line of ditches which were all covered with gun positions, walkways, Embrasures and redoubts. Also, the place had good stock of modern Krupp arms and artillery with ammunition of a diversified kind. The defenders holding this were very determined and taking all this in their possession must have been really difficult for the other army.
Activities near Kafr el-Dawwar
There are many adventurous activities which can be undertaken near Kafr el-Dawwar including hiking, mountain climbing, surfing, skiing and more. For all those people who wish to indulge in some real adventure, here are some useful details.
Tide timing close to Kafr el-Dawwar
- Closest Tide times at Alexandria Egypt which is 22 km towards the west
- Second closest tide time at Idku Egypt which is 25 kms to the north east Mountains located near to Kafr el-Dawwar for hiking and rock climbing are
- Mount Ramon in Israel is the closest mountain peak about 436 km to the east
- Mount Sinai in Egypt is about 469 km to the south east
- Mount Catherine Egypt is 470 km towards the south east
- Temple Mount in Israel is about 490 km to the east
- Mount Olympus in Cyprus is about 494 km to the North east, Closest ski resorts
- Mt Olympus in Cyprus at 494 km North east
- Mount Hermon in Israel at 585 km North east
- Zaarour in Lebanon about 617 km NE
- Mzaar K Fardebian in Lebanon about 622 km
- Laqloug in Lebanon about 631 km, Surf beaches close to Kafr el-Dawwar
- El Corniche in Egypt about 20 km away
- Mandara in Egypt about 20 km away
- Ramadas in Egypt is 20 km away
- Shatby in Egypt is 22 km away
- Agami in Egypt is 33 km away
Famous people at Kafr el-Dawwar
The legendary manager of the national football team of Egypt, Hassan Shehata, was born in this town. It’s under plans to erect a statue of this person in the center of the town. Also other famous people who were born here are Tarek El Ashry who was the manager of a football club and the actress Afaaf Shoeib.