The 30 Most Famous Egyptian Gods
Gods in ancient Egypt were worshipped a lot and they had many gods each associated with some specific element or quality. Below are mentioned 30 of the most famous gods of Egypt in no particular order,
- Amun who was the King of the Egyptian gods was the greatest of the sun gods. Depictions of Amun represent him as a man with a hawk’s head with a bull’s tail hanging from his tunic.
- God of death, Anubis is represented as either a man with a jackal’s head or as a jackal. He presided over funerals and guided the souls of the dead He also oversaw the ceremony where the gods weighed a human heart.
- Aten, the sun god had no human shape and was illustrated as a sun disc having hands at the end of each ray.
- Atum who is considered the oldest of the creation gods seems to have existed before anything else.
- Bast represented the cat goddess who is represented either as a woman having a cat head or as a cat, people in ancient Egypt mummified cats in her honor.
- Bes, the patron of art, childbirth and music was a war god. People placed Bes’ image above their headrests to ward off evil spirits.
- Geb - God of the Earth represented the fertility of the earth.
- Hapy, god of the Nile was considered to have created everything.
- Hathor, the cow goddess was also a mother goddess who was represented as a cow or a woman with a cow’s head or horns.
- Horus - The Egyptian Falcon God, was among the five Osisrains god was a man with a hawk’s head.
- Isis - The Goddess of Fertility was also the goddess of magic, and a healing goddess.
- Khepri, was a self created god and was the rising sun.
- Khnum, a creator-god and the god of fertility.
- Ma'at - The Goddess of Truth and Justice personified moral and physical law.
- Nephthys the personification of darkness, death and decay was one of the Osirian gods.
- Nun was the celestial waters who had no temples dedicated to him.
- Nut - Goddess of the Sky was personified as the sky and she was the consort of Geb and also considered the mother of the Osirain gods.
- Osiris - God of the Underworld was the god of the dead and resurrection.
- Ptah was the god of artists and artisans and a craft-god.
- Ra was a sun god and myths claimed that he created everything.
- Ra Horakhty was a composite of the gods Horus and Ra.
- Sekhmet was a lion goddess, the goddess of war and battle.
- Seshat was the goddess of libraries and literature and the Egyptians associated her with Thoth.
- Seth - God of Chaos was the god of darkness and evil and was one of the Osirian gods.
- Shu was the god of air.
- Sobek - The Crocodile God of Strength.
- Tawaret was the hippopotamus goddess and the patroness of motherhood and childbirth.
- Tefnut was the goddess of moisture and the consort of Shu.
- Thoth was a moon god and the patron of the arts, hieroglyphics, science, speech and wisdom.
Gods of Egypt
Hathor the cow goddess is among the most famous goddesses
Ma’at often referred as a goddess is more commonly considered
Seth, the god of Chaos, was known to represent everything
The Sun God in ancient Egypt was primarily known as Ra