Oum Ali is a trendy traditional dessert in Egypt. Its name means "the mother of Ali." It is an Egyptian bread and butter pudding made from butter, puff pastry, cream, and nuts. It is a highly delicious and soft dessert, usually served with raisins and warm cream.
A bite of oum ali is so soft that it melts on the tongue. Here's how to make this traditional Egyptian dessert at home.
Making Oum Ali
- Eight sheets of frozen puff pastry
- 6 cups of chopped mixed nuts (hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios)
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut (optional)
- 1 sultana (optional)
- 1-2 cups of white sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Two tablespoons of rosewater (optional)
- 10 cups of milk
- 2 cups of heavy cream (for the delicious and soft creamy effect)
For The Topping
- 600 ml of heavy cream
- Two tablespoons of cinnamon
- Four tablespoons of sugar
- Take the puff pastry out of the freezer 2 hours before using it and let it defrost thoroughly.
- Center your oven rack and heat it over to 220C.
- Place the puff pastry sheets on a baking sheet and then place them into the oven for 5-10 minutes (you want them to be puffed up and golden brown).
- Take them out of the oven and allow them to cool. This may take some time.
- Add milk, whipped cream powder, sugar, and spices to a pot and let them gently simmer.
- Add the vanilla and cream and take off the heat from a simmer.
- Break the puff pastry into small pieces and place half the amount in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the nuts and coconut on the puff pastry.
- Top the other half of the puff pastry with crumbs.
- Slowly add the milk mixture, one ladle at a time, to the dish with puff pastry and nuts until the milk fully covers the puff pastry.
- Allow the dessert to set for 10 minutes. You'll notice that the puff pastry absorbs some of the milk. Add milk again until it covers the puff pastry.
- Bake on the center rack for 15 minutes at 220 C.
- Place under the broiler for a couple of minutes to get a golden-colored top.
- Serve this wonderful dessert and enjoy the delightful taste.
Egyptians make many delicious desserts, but this bread pudding, oum ali, is the best. Its fantastic warm, creamy, crispy, soft, smooth, and nutty taste will make you want to enjoy every bite. Bless yourself with the grace of Ali's mother as you eat this delicious treat!