Tabouli Chicken Casserole
Tabouli chicken casserole is a highly delicious Egyptian dish that is the country's pride. This dish combines garbanzo beans, tomatoes, chicken, artichoke hearts, and a little pinch of garlic and mint. This recipe is extra tasty because you garnish it with finely chopped cucumber and parsley. This yummy dish is loved by people worldwide who visit Egypt and other Middle Eastern states.
Preparation Of Tabouli Chicken Casserole
- 3 Chicken flavor bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup hot water
- One tablespoon butter
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 3 x 1-inch pieces
- One medium onion, chopped
- One can (16 ounces) of garbanzo beans, drained.
- One can (14.5 ounces) peeled and diced tomatoes, undrained.
- One can (14 ounces) of artichoke hearts, drained and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- One tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- One tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint.
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
Directions For Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a large casserole dish.
- Dissolve 2 bouillon cubes in hot water(1/2 cup) and keep this aside while the cubes get dissolved in water.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium to high heat.
- After this, add the remaining 1 bouillon cube to the skillet and cook this. Stir this frequently and nicely until the bouillon is dissolved.
- Later, add chicken to it and once again cook frequently, stirring it for about 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and put the skillet aside.
- After doing chicken and bouillon, add onion to skillet.
- Cook and stir onion occasionally for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- To the onion, add beans, tomatoes and their juice, artichokes, carrot, wine, garlic, mint, lemon peel, and the bouillon mixture, and continue cooking, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer this to the prepared casserole dish and top with cooked chicken.
- Bake it for 30 minutes and serve.
- Remember to garnish it at the end with cucumber and parsley.
Tabouli Chicken Casserole is a wonderfully tasty dish. The crispness of chicken, along with the mixed sourness and sweetness, imparts a spellbinding taste. Enjoy your casseroles, and do have them whenever you visit Egypt!